Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Pay attention to the kids

I'm sitting here in the park working and a father, a mother, and their daughter walk by. The daughter, of no more than 6, was speaking a mile a minute. The parents were talking over her, and what she was saying was falling on deaf ears. It seemed the parents needed to figure out what mortgage company they were going to use. The little girl was talking about what tree she was going to climb. I found the dichotomy of the conversation humerus and disturbing.

When the little girl burst from their hands, a shocked and terrified look screeched across the parents faces. The girl raced for a tree, jumped to the highest branch, and started climbing away. The parents regained their composure and sighed. They continued their previous conversation as the little girl climbed and climbed.

When she got to the top of the branch she wanted to get to , she said in a voice quite proud - "That's fuckin right, I did it. Uh huh!" The parents heard themselves. The other patrons of the park heard their own conversation.

Me, I heard the little 6 year old say, within a foot of her parents,Fuckin Right!!!

whn i asked if she was allowed to cuss they looked at me with a look of appall that I haven't saeen in a long while. The look said it all, and I smiled.

No comments: