Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The right thing...yes, it is.

Saw something beautiful at the gas statiot, and couldn't believe it. I walked up to the gas station preoccupied in my own world and noticed an older gentleman mumbling to himself. I took a moment to listen and he was lamenting about his money situation. Who knows why he was in that situation, it doesn't matter. But he said," Well, I need gas. I have to get to my doctors and my appointments so i have to put gas in. I'll just use my debit card and hopefully won't bounce too many checks. I hate doing this. I wish I had enough money to put gas in my car at least" At this moment I noticed a young lady and her child walking next to him as well. They seemed to be engrossed in their own world.

As I stood in line the same older man found two dollars on the ground. Knowing full well that was what he needed for his car, he asked everyone if it was theirs. I mean everyone!!!! At that moment, the mother an dher daughter, who couldn't be mor ethan 8, came up to the line and the daughter really wanted a snack. It wasn't candy or anything like that, it was a good for you health bar. Her mother said they couldn't afford it and that was the end of the conversation.

The old man walked up and said to the mother: "Can I give this to your daughter? If she wants that, she can buy it with this." The mother said ok, and nothing else was said. The man stood in line 3 people behind me and the mother and daughter were directly behind me. The man gave those $2 fully knowing he didn't have any other money. That was great,a nd I thought that was just wonderful!

Little did I know, I hadn't seen anything yet! It gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

The woman paid for her things, the little girl got the thing she wanted, and then she said, "And can you charge me for this gentleman's full tank of gas please?"

The man was flabbergasted. After a lot of "you don't have to" and "a lot of I can't accept that", the older man walked out and filled up his tank. I told the man I thought that what he did was wonderful. I told the woman that i thought what she did was great! They both told me the same thing:

It's the right thing to do!

Because it is.

No comments: